Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 16, FRI: 1/22- Jack Beats

Friday I woke up and poked around. I did laundry with Hannah and got a hair cut. I was going to go work out, but then I thought I'd check my facebook and respond to this message from this DJ I met last week. He gave me some suggestions for cool places to go in Rome. I clicked on the first website and BAM in my face was JACK BEATS!. I couldn't believe it. Playing TONIGHT in ROME. I quickly made dinner and tried to round some people together to go out. Blake wanted to go so we headed off to GOA to try and make it before 1:00 before they came on. So we headed out the door- it was supposed to be a 40 minute walk, but we had never been there. We knew the general area though. I had my trusty iPhoner to try and guide us but it only works on wifi and was pretty much just a map for the time being. Anyway we got turned around a little halfway, but made progress! We ran into some Italian couple who knew where it was. They were super friendly and said they were going the same way so we walked with them, but unfortunately they were doing work on the metro in this one spot so we couldn't get one block over. We backtracked and got on the right track. We bid a Ciao! and hot footed it over to GOA. It was 5 minutes til one. "We're going to be OK!", I thought. rawng! There were at least 50 people waiting in line to get in. Unfortunately as I have found from living in Italy for this long- in addition to traffic laws, Italians also don't believe in lines. People were all trying to pile in but the bouncers were not letting the rope budge. Everyone who was getting in * in addition to being fluent in Italian* either A) had girls with them, B) knew someone who worked there, or C) knew a person behind the ropes who could get them in. They all still had to try and convince the incredulous bouncer to let them in. Finally, I grabbed this one bouncer and told him that it was just me and my friend trying to get in. He said "OK" and let us in just like that. The MOST fun I've had in Rome yet. We didn't miss Jack Beats- the music was amazing, the place was packed, and I had a ball. I met some really cool people there too- hopefully we'll get to hang out again some time in the future. When he got kicked out Blake was still inside. This girl I met, her friend kept telling me to leave Blake and go with them because Blake could fin his own way home. I told him no I'm waiting for my friend. He started giving me crap for it so I told him to "Keep wasting your breath because I'm waiting until my friend leaves". Blake made it out and we walked home along with another guy from the show who happened to like ultimate frisbee (Blake's favorite sport). It worked out well for everybody :)

2 comments:

  1. GLAD YOU HAD FUN, AND MORE GLAD YOU WAITED FOR YOUR BUDDY - KEEP SAFE! YOU'RE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE...

    ReplyDelete