Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 22: THR 2/28: giganti

Thursday started off a bit rocky. I left by myself on my way to class. We were supposed to meet at the Modern Art Museum. Unfortunately my phone wouldn’t load my mail with directions before I left and I confused that museum with the Ara Pacis museum. Well when I got to the Arac Pacis I was headed in the right direction but quickly realized upon seeing nobody there that maybe I wasn’t in the right place. I asked the lady at the desk for directions to the Museum of Modern Art which was on Viale delle Belle Arti. She guided me in the right direction but I had to stop and ask directions a few times. I got sort of lost. I also went way too far and had to start at the beginning of the Viale delle Belle Arti and walk all the way to the museum. I also left my memory card for my camera in my laptop so taking pictures was not a possibility. I arrived exhausted and embarrassed 45 minutes late. Fortunately for me- three other students had walked in right before me. They had taken a bus that took them on the “scenic route” throughout the city. Anyway, the museum was great and had a nice collection of modern works from the early 20th century. They had some work by Marcel Duchamp which was really interesting to see. He’s the artist that submitted a signed urinal into an art show. He’s the first person to ask the question and begin the eternal discussion of “what constitutes art?” I argued something about this and my teacher was happy that I was interested. I just wanted to try and smooth things over after my more than fashionably late appearance. After the museum we walked back and had a lecture at the school (the way back was a lot less confusing). That afternoon we had studio and tried to make some more progress with our building- it’s difficult this year not having any mandatory deadlines. We have to push ourselves.
            Fortunately that night was much more fun. Yes this is a two-parter. A lot of the guys here went to Barcelona that night on their own trip. That left me to the whole apartment. That night I met up with Sino- the DJ/producer that I met last week at Jack Beats. He was playing at I Giganti on Campo dei Fiori. The first time I went to meet up before the show he wasn’t there- he had to run back and get some equipment. So I ran home and made some food and came back later with my laptop and stuff. He said he wanted to listen to some music and trade stuff. When I got back I saw him and about 8 other guys sitting at a table at the restaurant next door (owned by the same person). The owner treated everyone to dinner and wine. I just ordered a tomato and basil bruschetta (which was amazing). All his friends were somehow involved in music whether they mixed or produced or whatever. It was great getting to meet everyone- they were really friendly and it was fun getting to hang out with people who have common interests. Well Sino went inside to keep setting up (the DJ stand was up a ladder and looked out over the bar). Meanwhile some more students from John Cabot University showed up- lots of girls and guys who all knew Sino. Pretty soon I was surrounded by people I knew from last week at the Jack Beats show and new ones. It was an amazing time- the music was great and the drinks were cheap. At one point things got a little crazy and a young lady leaned arched her back onto the bar and lifted up her shirt to “reveal her assets”. The bartender poured cherry syrup on her stomach while another helpful coed cleaned up the mess the mess he made. Unfortunately for her, she went to John Cabot and was surrounded by many fellow students who knew her. At first I thought “Wow! Europe is pretty wild! I knew they didn’t care about breasts, but dang!” I wish I had more hands so I could give them titties four thumbs down. Rick James would have had a field day. Later though, a local told me that that never happens and that an Italian girl “would never do that”. After a bit I left with me and my new friend Chiara- we went to scholars lounge for a bit. All in all it was a great night- a nice way to meet music lovers and learn about cool places. All the John Cabot students rock.

2 comments:

  1. what do you mean with four thumbs down? Sounds awesome though! Go slutty Americans in rome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a quote from a Dave Chappelle skit. It's about 4:15.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUb06iLjTKA&feature=related

    ReplyDelete